From:
PATRICA CLARK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PATRICA CLARK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:31:15 -0400

Well, thanks to all of you who responded to the bread survey.  I had an overwhelming response.  Seems like a lot of people feel like I do and are interested in the results.  A great deal of people responded that they make their own breads and kindly offered to share their recipes.  (A few bluntly suggested that I bite the bullet and learn to make it)  I might try one or two of them that sounded easy enough.  One person said that she makes the dry ingredients up ahead of time and uses it as needed which makes it easier.  Here are the results in no particular order:
:
Whole Foods Prairie- 7 votes (it was noted that this has a lot of calories in it)
Whole Foods White - 8
Whole Foods Cinnamon Raisin -3 (one person said it makes great french toast)
Whole Food pizza crust can be used as bread according to one person.  (sounds like a possibility)
Whole Foods cornbread - 2
Whole Food sun dried tomato
Rice cakes 2
Corn thins 1

Kinnikinick cheese 1
Kinnikinick raisin -1
Kinnikinick bagels - 1
Kinnikinick english muffins -1
Kinnikinick tapioca cheese -1
Kinnikinick white - 13 votes
Kinnikinick brown sandwich bread - 5
Kinnikinick Italian White Tapioca - 4 (this has only 70 calories)
Kinnikinick raisin -1
Kinnikinick rice and cheese -1

Corn tortillas - 1
Trader Joe's Ryeless Rye - 2
Glutino Premium Bread with flax - 2 (one person mentioned that he buys it at Nature Mart Health Food Store in Los Feliz area or England, neither of which is in my area but might help someone else)

Glutino bagels - 3
Glutino high fiber 2
Glutino corn 4 ( good for grilled cheese)
Glutino flax seed 1
Glutino english muffins 1

Gillian's frozen dinner rolls 1 (put a little butter or extra virgin olive oil on and grill for hamburger buns) I tried this and it was pretty good the first time.  Second day, it crumbled.

EnerG white  - 3
EnerG high fiber - 2
EnerG corn loaf - 2
EnerG brown rice - 2
EnerG tapioca -2
EnerG Seattle buns - 1
EnerG high fiber loaf - 1
EnerG Paps loaf 1

The Bread Box GF Bakery -1
Mona's mixes (Irish soda) 1 This person said the bread has no yeast and can be made start to finish in 1 hr.
Sami's bakery in Tampa (they have a website so I guess you can order online)

Everybody Eats  -2 Both of these people swear it is the closest thing to real bread (located in N.Y. but they do ship)
Great Grains in Chattanooga 1  (they don't ship)

Food for Life China Black Rice - 2
Food for Life Brown Rice - 2
El Peta - 1 (never heard of it)
Food for Life Almond - 1
Food for Life - 2

Breads from Anna - 4 (can order from Gluten Evolution)
Holly's GF breads
Chebe bread 1
Miss Roben's mix  1(makes good rolls according to this person)
Sterks Italian raisin
Van's waffles as was mentioned in a previous post
Minute white bread mix (mix powder with water and microwave 40 to 50 seconds one or two slices at a time www.foodtek.com<http://www.foodtek.com/>
Maria "wheat" bread recipe on celiac.com
Madwoman Foods (flatbread coming in July)

Grandma Ferndon Buttermilk 3
Grandma Ferndon Pumpernickel 1 (donut holes were mentioned as being tasty too)

Silly Yak Bakery classic white
Silly Yak Garlic Cheddar
Silly Yak Cinnamon Swirl
Silly Yak Majestic Valley Sour Cr. Coffeecake and snickerdoodles mentioned as good too

Tracey's Treats GF ricefree, dairy free millet (sold in PA and a few surrounding areas) This is an interesting idea as this bread is sold frozen and you just thaw and bake.

Some of these I have already tried and didn't care for.  There are some new ideas to try though and for that I am grateful.  If nothing else, I am glad to know that a lot of you, like me are still searching for the elusive GF bread that tastes like what we remember.  What I wouldn't give for a tomato sandwich on soft white bread!  Ah well................

*******
*******