From:
Beverly Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:46:32 -0500

Here is the summary of the responses I got about Door County.

Blessings,
Beverly Wahl

We stayed at a friend's house in Door County last year.  We mostly ate at
"home" or packed gluten free sandwiches to eat during the day when we were out.

The only place where we tried to eat was the White Gull Inn.  I had such
good luck there, I ate there 3 times and didn't risk eating anywhere
else.  We mostly went during non-peak times so that the kitchen would have
time to worry about cross contamination.  So twice we were practically the
only people there and had really good, attentive service.  One time we went
for a fish boil and it was packed.  We talked to a manager a number of days
in advance when we made our reservations for the fish boil (it's very
popular and sometimes the fish boil is reserved a week in advance) and all
my food and substations were discussed in advance.  When we arrived
everything went as planned.  As I said we had really good luck
there.  http://www.whitegullinn.com/

Hope you have a fantastic time in Door County!

On your way to Door County, you might consider stopping in Sheboygan.
There's a small but very good natural/health foods store there,
Nature's Best, that has a good selection of gf foods. They also run a
restaurant, The Weather Center, at which I've had many a good meal.
Although most of what they do is sandwiches, they're always willing
to make up a plate of the sandwich fillings without the bread. They
also do a couple of killer salads. I generally stay away from the
soups, because several include a soup base mix that they weren't
convinced would be okay for me--if they're not sure, I'm happy to
take their advice. I had breakfast there once--they do a breakfast
burrito, but again were happy to leave out the flour tortilla and
just give me the fillings.

If you want to go upscale, check out Biro, also in Sheboygan. Their
web site is at <http://www.birointernationale.com/>. Call ahead for
reservations, and talk with either the chef or the sous chef about
needing a gf meal. I've eaten there a couple times--the first time I
discussed with them that I need my meal to be both gf and vegetarian
(other issues for me) and asked that they pick something from the
menu that they knew would work. The second time I called in advance,
but simply ordered off the menu (with their guidance) and the chef
prepared the food gf. I suspect most of their food is gf anyway, but
what it mostly isn't is vegetarian, so I had to limit myself further
in that regard. If your family eats meat, you'll have more choices.

I know I've eaten at several restaurants in Door County, but can't
remember their names. In all cases, I simply asked about preparation
etc. at the meal and never had any problems.

Joe Ellison
Chicago, IL

Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com  for a list of 105+
national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items.
There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant
personnel to ease the ordering process.

Give it a look and enjoy your trip. Jeff

Jeff Beavin

Hi Beverly,

Good to know where you are staying. In Egg Harbor the Shipswreck has great salads, however I have found the easiest place to eat at is the Summer Kitchen in Fish Creek. They have great lettuce sandwiches and many ties I do not even mention the CD thing, I usually get the tuna lettuce sandwich.

The other place in Fish creek that is very accomodating is Pelliters....best of luck and enjoy your stay!

I do a day visit there once in a while...the fish boils are safe...no pie
or cole slaw.  You can get double potatoes and onions in its place.  I
never checked on the slaw or ice cream.

Sorry I'm not much help but it's a start!  Please let me know if you get
any more ideas.

Diane

>Does anyone know where we can find gf food for our daughter when we =
>travel to door county wisconsin in August?  We will have a cabin where =
>we can cook for her but want to take her out too.  Thank you!

>Blessings,
>Beverly Wahl
>
>*Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the Celiac List*
>*******
>To unsubscribe, email: mailto:[log in to unmask]
>*******

Blessings,
Beverly Wahl