From:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 20:25:36 -0400

I want to share a very positive experience with all of you.  On Friday, I
went to Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin for a campus tour with my 17
year old son, who has celiac disease.  I asked the two students who were
our tour guides if they had any friends who have dietary restrictions or
food allergies, and if so, how they get along with their meals in college.
One of the two students who gave us the tour said she was an expert at food
allergies, because she has celiac disease!  There are 2,000 students in the
school, and she's the only one with celiac disease, and somehow we ended up
with her as our private tour guide.  Wow!  The best part is that she said
they know exactly how to handle it in the kitchen, and they make her the
best gluten free food.  There is a separate waffle iron just for her
waffles, and there are gluten free crackers, cookies, and cereal that she
can take back to her room.  She gets plenty to eat.  This is our third
college tour, and the first that has had a clue about a gluten free diet.
They really seem to have a handle on it.
-Mary in Milwaukee