From:
Emerisle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:51:20 -0700

In a word - everyone  who wrote (except one person noted below) agreed that maltodextrin is OK.  I have included excerpts of some the message that I thought may be of interest to the list.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!  Beth

  -- To confirm what Shelley Case says about maltodextrin, Jax Peters Lowell writes in her 2005 book, THE GLUTEN FREE BIBLE, "Not to be confused with malt or malt flavoring, the FDA describes this stuff as 'non-sweet white powder or concentrated solution made from corn, potato or rice.' American products containing maltodextrin are gluten-free by regulation."  Concerning medication, she writes, "Maltodextrin found in medication is almost always derived from corn starch and therefore gluten-free."

  -- I'm with Shelley. The Canadian Celiac Association Pocket Dictionary,
the bible for us Canadian Celiacs, confirms what Shelley states.

  One person reported these problems with maltodextrin:

  -- No official information that refutes that, but my Celiac friends and I
notice that a lot more maltodextrin in this country is derived from
wheat. We have reached the intolerant level for maltodextrin, however, for
whatever reasons! So at this point, we avoid this ingredient.

  One person provided info on R5 ELISA validity:

  -- There are a couple of important European links that bear on the issue of the R5 ELISA test. While they do not invalidate the supposition, they do cast some doubt on R5 being the gold standard:
  This one deals with Oats and Barley contamination: http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/ifsi/eupositions/ccnfsdu/ccnfsdu_ecc_step6_2005_ec-comments_en.pdf#search=%22R5%20ELISA%20Tests%22
  ... and this one deals with the AAC's position on the R5 test which is that they do not recommend it: http://www.aac-eu.org/010604-Position-Gluten.pdf#search=%22R5%20ELISA%20Tests%22

  Here is a US-FDA link that is a bit more weasel-worded: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/gluthurk/gluhur13.htm

  What it appears to me is that in 2003 there was great enthusiasm that the R5 test would be the answer; however, there are some second thoughts with more recent investigation. Here is one of the enthusiastic 2003 releases:

  http://www.eurojgh.com/pt/re/ejgh/fulltext.00042737-200305000-00001.htm;jsessionid=FjFJLvyTnf1GYK5TLGdGVRqTqgG76T7FQrhkYLym1gnH0PJy6VJ7!1513079044!-949856145!8091!-1

  So, in the strictest sense of your question, "Does anyone have any information to the contrary?" I would say yes. The AAC position on R5 states the case.

  From a practical perspective, I would answer the question "Would you (meaning me) have a problem eating maltodextrin if you didn't know the source." with "No, I am not worried about maltodextrin."