From:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:19:11 -0500

Hi all,

I am reporting back about my business trip (solo) to San Francisco last
week.

I took my own food on the plane each way: hard boiled eggs, mary's gone
crackers, lara bar, banana.... no liquids, of course.  I was a little
worried about the hard boiled eggs on the way there.  They searched my
purse at sercurity, but did not say a thing about the eggs- took my
perfume bottle, though!

I took along a box of Mary's Gone crackers and a little ziplock bag so I
could take a handful with me for lunch and dinner.

For breakfast I had fruit each day (nice fruit bowl at hotel or Whole
Foods).

For lunches I went to the Whole Foods salad bar, except one day I went to
Hog Island Oyster Bar at the Ferry Building.  My server assured me that
there was very little gluten at all at the place except for the brusetta
and bread they serve on the side.  Their oyster stew is GF and he also
assured me that the special salmon with veggies was, also.  I had a nice
salad and dozen oysters.

I picked a really nice, upscale restaurant for each evening and mentioned
my request for gluten free when I made the reservations the week before I
went.  Then each day I had the concierge at my hotel fax my one page of
info to the restaurant I was going to that night.  In all cases except the
sushi place I went to, the manager met me as I was being seated and
discussed with me what he/she and the chef recommended.
Here are the details of the amazing food I had:
XYZ (restaurant at the W hotel, where I stayed)- proscuitto and greens
salad, duck breast on chard with figs
Kyo-Ya- I had my usual sushi meal of eda mame, some sashimi, a few pieces
of nigiri, and a roll without tobiko or fake crab.  I brought my own soy
sauce.
Forgien Cinema- a nice salad and duck again, this time on a bed of
morracon spiced lentils, dessert of cheese and apple slices
CoCo500- amazing salad of warm brussel spouts with apple dressing and goat
cheese, then sauted trout on escorole.

I had to eat at the airport for lunch before my flight home and I was so
tired of GF crackers and snack bars!  I went to one of the sushi places
again had eda mame and some sushi with my own soy sauce with no problem.

I did not get 'glutened' at all durning my trip!

I regret that I did not have time to go over to Berkeley to eat at Socca
Oven- a totally GF place that makes little chickpea-dough pizza-like
things or go to Cafe Gratitude (somewhere in San Fran) that is a 'raw'
cuisine place that is also mostly GF (except for maybe the soy sauce they
use).

Thanks to all,
Pam