THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donna Janeczko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:59:10 -0500
Your posts in the past month or so have been very interesting and
informative.  I've been asking all over the internet about the connection
of SJOGREN syndrome to Graves' and have not had anyone else say that they
are connected.  A Dr. Fox, dentist, and director of a National Institutes
of Health study of Sjogren patients told me that they test each subject for
thyroid disease and see a large correlation with hypothyroidism, but that
hyperthyroidism is rare in Sjogren patients.  Do you have some information
which would suggest otherwise?

Also -- since I was supposedly hypothyroid and treated as such until six
years ago, when I was shocked to be told that I have Graves' disease, I was
interested in your remark regarding "Graves' hypothyroidism".  This is the
first time I've heard about this.  I assume that I developed Graves'
because of inappropriate synthroid administration and a genetic
predisposition.  Is there some basis for this designation (Graves'
hypothyroidism) in the scientific literature?