From:
"Wendy E. Betts" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:33:27 PST

   I would like to know if others have a similar reaction to gluten
   products as I do. Often I will have no response at all to eating
   say, a sandwich.  The reaction occurs after the next meal even if
   that meal is gluten free.  Reactions will then continue until I
   have been off gluten for 3-4 days.

I've noticed a similar pattern with my digestive problems, although
not necessarily connected to gluten. It always seems to be right after
eating the next meal that they occur, far too soon to be connected with
what I just ate. Digestive problems that are actually caused by gluten
seem to come on the next morning for me, but I've heard of people who
take days to have a reaction.

Incidentally, you could be literally taking your life in your hands by
deliberately continuing to eat gluten. Fairly strong correlations have
been established between non-compliance with the diet and risks of
getting lymphoma and other cancers. And some of the side-effects are
dangerous and potentially irreversible--bone loss from lack of
calcium, for example.

Wendy Betts, [log in to unmask]