THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

From:
Esther Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:44:39 -0400
My doc and I reviewed my latest labs.  I almost thought I was hearing
wrong.  If anyone can explain hypo symtoms (Hashimoto's) in the presence of
these numbers, please do!

TSH very low (0.17, low ref 0.4)
Free T4 low-normal (4.7, low ref 4.0)
Free T3 high (453, hi ref 440)
Thyroid antibodies positive

Based on these results, he thinks that my persistent symptoms are not due
to Hashimoto's and that my meds are, if anything, too high.  Nonetheless,
with some persuasion on my part, he was willing to switch me to an
equivalent dose of Armour temporarily (he agreed to one month), although he
much prefers synthroid, which I am already taking.

Based on the numbers and the logic with which endos operate, there
certainly was no way to justify upping the synthroid. So a trial change of
meds was a (barely) acceptable possibilty, it seems.

My doc is of the opinion that T3 makes patients feel better because it's a
natural antidepressant and often it is prescribed where it is not really
addressing a metabolic need.  His argument goes, why use a powerful
metabolic agent when what is really indicated is an antidepressant?

I don't know what to think about this notion that all the folks clamoring
for T3 are really looking for an unofficial psych med. I'm just looking
forward to bidding synthroid adieu for now.

My situation is changing.  I am leaving my job of 10 years.  My first
challenge right out of the chute is a 6-week graduate summer program, which
by all accounts is quite strenuous.  I'm just hoping and praying that I
begin to see some improvement soon.  Do you ever feel like it's a bit of
guerilla warfare just to get what you need out of the medical system?

Esther

P.S.  I asked the pharmacist to give me the leaflet off one of their supply
bottles of of Armour Thyroid (Forest Pharmaceuticals).  If anyone wants a
copy, let me know.  Does this make me an offical 'petit papier' woman?  I'm
ready to make up a badge.  :-)