VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER ALTSCHUL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PETER ALTSCHUL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 18:34:27 -0400
The Change Function

Technologists think, "Build it, and they will come." But they're building
plenty of cool stuff, and consumers aren't coming.

From: Issue 105 | May 2006 | Page 27 | By: Pip Coburn | Illustrations by:
Hellovon

Funny what you remember. As global technology strategist at UBS, I had a
ringside seat for the late-1990s boom. I was in on countless meetings with
visiting management teams trying to explain why their tech startups would be
the next hot initial public offering.

The Change Function: Why do people adopt new technologies?

Looking back, here's the movie looping in my head: All those companies
trekking through our office? Most had little to say that wasn't about them.
The marvelous product or Web-based service they had come up with. Their
can't-lose plan to get eyeballs. Their depth as a team. It was a rare thing
indeed in those days to hear someone talk about his customers. Most of the
companies couldn't have told us what their end users really wanted if we'd
asked. "Build it and they will come," they believed. They turned out to be
rather wrong.

Former Intel chief Andy Grove was widely known for his pat aphorism
"Technology happens." If you give technologists enough time and money, he
believed, they'll create miracles--and Moore's law of cost reduction will
take care of the rest.

The problem: The technologists' miracles too rarely yield commercial
success. They build it, but we don't always come.

The tech industry has lost focus on the most important constituency of
all--its customers. It is only when users take out their wallets and spend
money that we move from hobbies to actual commerce. Most technology fails to
make that leap; that's as true today as it was during the dotcom party.

Why do people adopt new technologies? People change habits when the pain of
their current situation exceeds their perceived pain of adopting a possible
solution. I call that the "change function." It may seem simplistic. It's
supposed to be.

Change = f (level of current crisis, perceived pain of adoption) When
technologists see their products fail, they often blame it on price. But
there's no market-clearing price for an ugly shirt. Or they'll say that the
technology wasn't ready for prime time. But that's not it either.
Technologists routinely deliver workable miracles without commercial
success. The change function assumes neither is the problem and asks, Is
there another reason this technology might have failed? Consider the
Internet refrigerator.

Is there a crisis users are experiencing that a connected fridge addresses?
Short answer: no. My refrigerator works fine, even if I can't surf the Web
while looking for tomato juice.

Is buying an intelligent refrigerator perceived as painless? Again: no. You
have to waste a morning waiting for delivery and connection, and then,
inevitably, more time listening to Barry Manilow while waiting for telephone
tech support.

For most earthlings, the payoff doesn't justify all that. Technologists
think we'll gladly adopt an innovation when it's manifestly smarter. But
change is an emotion-laden process. Disrupting, game-changing technologies?
No way. Most of us despise being disrupted and don't wish to be
game-changed.

The technologies that stand the best chance of winning us over are enhanced
editions of products we already understand. Flat-panel televisions, for
example, are much better televisions with low perceived pain of adoption.
Everyone "gets" what a basic television is all about. There's nothing to
learn. At the same time, flat-panel TVs address a powerful need. True, it's
both subtle and self-fulfilling: It's the psychic pain we feel for not
having one. Since 19% of televisions sold in 2005 were flat panels, the
technology appears set to hit a societal tipping point. Anyone who doesn't
have one will feel deeply embarrassed about it. If that's not a crisis, I
don't know what is.

A technology's success or failure is not merely fated. Instead, it demands
action of one of two varieties. Technologists can identify and intensify a
customer crisis. Or they can reduce the perceived pain of adoption.

That's not just a technology problem, of course. Marketing, for one thing,
is crucial. Great marketing causes epiphanies; it can help customers think
one of two things: "Ah. I see! I really want that! In fact, I need it!"
(This is raising crisis.) Or: "Oh. It isn't nearly as hard as I thought.
I'll do it!" (This is lowering the perceived pain of adoption.)

The tech industry has lost focus on the most important constituency of
all--its customers. The alternative is all too familiar to execs at TiVo,
who have utterly failed to convince people that their otherwise great
product is actually easier to use than a VCR. It's familiar as well to
Wal-Mart, which hasn't managed to compel its suppliers to tag every item
with radio frequency identification (RFID) before it reaches a store. Why?
Because bar codes work just fine!

Most of the tech world seems to be headed toward more groveling in the dark,
and more failure. I was at an off-site meeting last fall when a noted
technologist said, "We have to build products for morons."

This person, probably frustrated by his inability to change his customers'
habits, long ago gave up trying to understand them. How sad. Technologists
who could revolutionize the world have thrown in the towel.

Adapted from The Change Function: Why Some Technologies Take Off and Others
Crash and Burn (Portfolio, June).

Copyright © 2006 Mansueto Ventures LLC. All rights reserved.

Fast Company, 375 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10017

    Send comments on list operation to
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]