From:
Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:19:06 -0500
From: "Kristina K. Carlton" <[log in to unmask]>

>I agree.  Wasn't it Socrates you said, "Let food be your drug"?  A balanced

>diet with clean whole foods is the best.  Oliva

I think that's true, but what do you do if clean whole foods aren't all that
available? I am limited to Kroger and Wal-Mart where I live - havne't had th
chance to start a garden because we might be moving to Nashville in October.
The closest health food store is in Nashville - about 1 1/2 hours from here.

Also, my doc wants me to take high doses of Vitamin C to boost my immune
system (my Epstein Barr virus antibodies were close to 2,800 and the normal
range given was 0 - 99) but I don't tolerate citrus fruits and I don't
tolerate fruit in general due to the sugar I assume. I've got quite a few
food intolerances making it even more difficult to find organic veggies
because the ones I CAN eat aren't necessarily available in the stores I have
access to.

So I do take some supplements but try to limit it. I also use a hormone
cream because even when I did eat an almost perfect paleo diet, my hormones
were still messed up. I eventually ended up with 11 days of PMS and only 7
ok days before the whole cycle started over - my husband was not a happy man
and I can't say that I liked it any better. :)

I wish I had the time in the day to get specific and elaborate on my posts
to this list.  Most are cryptic owing to time constraints.   It's a given
that there are times when a lot of us need certain supplements for various
reasons.  For the most part the healthy individual who has the time and the
wherewithall to eat a whole balanced diet does not require supplements.  Our
lifestyle, stress level, job, activities, vary from day to day.  Supplements
can be required when life exceeds our requirements.  There are days when it
would take six oranges to meet the Vit C requirements for that day.  People
who live in northern states who can't meet their Vit D requirements owing to
a lack of sunshine take cod liver oil or Vit D.  High stress jobs on a daily
basis require the extra B vitamins.  Some have health issues requiring
additional specific nutrients.  One size does not fit all.  Ideally, a
balanced paleo diet doesn't require supplementation.  I know people who take
vitamins in copious amounts but don't take the necessary complimentary
vitamins for those mega doses and create problems for themselves.
Supplementing requires some knowledge.  Too, it takes research to find a
company with integrity who makes 'healthy' nutrients.  Many companies add
fillers and binders.  China is a good one for making concoctions which are
found to contain mercury.  Buyer beware is a constant necessity these days,
what with the global community in buying and selling. SAD eaters deplete
minerals from the body and we were all SAD eaters before coming to paleo.
Since converting to paleo several years ago I have found that I don't need
the added nutrients. The longer we stick to paleo the less we require in
supplements.  The goal is to let food be our drug.  Gotta git,  Oliva ;-)