From:
"C. Kuni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:38:11 -0800
I.
C Kuni:
> I feed my cats whole mice and day old chicks (from
> http://www..rodentpro.com), a species-appropriate diet, but one of
> them still wants to eat more than his share and we restrict his
> ability to eat freely.  Something about it laying on a plate... a
> luxury the lion never knows.

=?windows-1252?Q?Philip?=  (Or may we call you Philip?):
That's interesting. Do you think your cat would become obese if it were
allowed to eat as much mice and chicks as it wanted, and why do you  think
one cat wants more while the other(s) don't?

Cynthia: The overeater, Edward, is brother to the second cat, Hank.  Half
the litter were orange tabbies (like Hank) and half were black-and-white
(like Edward). Their personalities are as different as can be. My third cat
is an unrelated older cat who used to overeat before I discovered the
benefits of raw meat diets for cats.  (Now he self-regulates, just like Hank
does.)  We are bemused as well as concerned that Edward seems to want to eat
endlessly.  Hank will walk away from his dinner when full, and Edward will
seize it if he can.  Both of them were half starved when I got them.  Maybe
Edward's eating "disorder" is a byproduct of the domestication of cats, or a
psychological problem related to the fact that he is at the bottom of the
pecking order among our cats.  I really don't know.

*************
II.
The discussion of exercise interests me greatly as I still do not feel I
have a good grasp of what I should be eating for my running.  I am
re-reading the Paleo for Athletes book and trying to gather other
information.  It seems there is a bit of a split between what to eat to
support general exercise and what to eat (or how much?) to support optimum
performance in endurance sports.  I actually emailed Groves to ask his
opinion, and he was very kind and generous in writing back.  He feels that a
person whose body has truly switched over to fat burning for most of their
energy needs will not have a "hitting the wall" experience during endurance
events.  But it takes quite a commitment to (and confidence in) that theory
to train without relying of some kind of extra carbs (even if it's Paleo
carbs) -- and as yet I do not have that attitude.   I hope I can find enough
information soon to proceed with confidence; the uncertainty involved in my
experimental eating patterns is not psychologically beneficial to my
training.

Cynthia