Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:08:30 -0500
Here are some past posts (with my notes in brackets) that discuss vision
improvements from a Paleo diet (not everyone experiences improvements). At
the bottom are excerpts from two articles that a post led me to.

From:         Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>

...when I do consume carbohydrates (usually a can of coke), my vision gets
extremely blurry for about 6-8 hours.  Thought some would find that
interesting.

From:         "Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>

Has anyone ever noticed that the moisture in the eyes thicken when eating
grains?..meaning the tears...when I wake up, I have a really hard time
clearing my vision..I was thinking it was maybe the pollen or other airborne
things around...but it's not always that consistent..I've been eating a lot
of carbs in the last few days (weakness on my part, sabotage on a co-workers
part lol),,and it's back this morning...

From:         Laura Northwood <[log in to unmask]>

I noticed in the past that when I ate a lot of sugar or breads, my vision
didn't seem as clear. I'm glad someone else noticed that too. I think vision
is in fact related to health, so I suppose this shouldn't be surprising.

From:         Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>

An article in Science Digest pointed out (a few years ago) that among Inuit
raised on traditional diet the incidence of myopia was 0%.  Among their
children raised on SAD (after WWII) it was 49%.

Scientific American had an article "Glucose and Aging" (May '87) [Brownlee,
Michael. Anthony Cerami and Helen Vlassara. GLUCOSE AND AGING; May, 1987,
page 82.] that has a diagram of how glucose crossbinds with the protein in
the lens of the eye making it less able to focus in later life. [which is
presbyopia, not myopia]

From:         "John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>

Well, I haven't worn my glasses all weekend and I'm starting to get used to
it.  Who would think diet could do this?  Or that bad diet could have caused
it?  A year ago, I would have thought all of this was nuts.

From:         Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

Paul Sand wrote:
>...I think a few years ago on this list somebody claimed that he/she cured
myopia with Paleo diet.

You may be referring to me. A few years ago I claimed dramatic improvement,
but no cure. Problem is in recent years I have been wearing my glasses more
often and the improvement stopped.

From:         Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

In one of the insulin articles (?) I read that the IGF (insulin like growth
factor) was it who caused the eye to *grow* too fast, thereby lenghthening
the eyeball, thereby causing shortsightedness. [Note: dairy is known to
stimulate production of IGF-1]

From:         Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>

Changes in vision happen quickly when the blood glucose levels change. I had
a friend whose vision suddenly got much better and it was because he had
developed symptoms of type 2 diabetes. His doctor said this is a frequent
sign.

My vision got much better since starting paleo. The optometrist was
surprised at the substantive improvement. Nothing causal proved, but
nevertheless I think diet had something to do with it.

From:         Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>

... dramatic changes in normal levels of blood sugar (either up or down) can
cause changes in the shape of the eyeball. For my friend, he was farsighted
and then with the high blood sugar levels his eyeball shape changed and he
became much less far-sighted.

I was very near-sighted and am much less near-sighted now with lower blood
sugar levels.

From:         "C.B." <[log in to unmask]>

Crisper vision is one of the first things I notice when my health improves.

From:         Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>

I heard about somebody who claimed that high fat diet (kind of Inuit diet
80% fat, close to 0 carbs) stopped and even improved his cataract. But
people claim different things (especially in the Internet) so no guarantees
that it was true.

From:         Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,
somebody once posted that they'd read in Weston Price's classic book
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (1939)
http://www.price-pottenger.org/home.html that Price had found the Pacific
Islanders could see the moons of Jupiter with the naked eye. I can't find
any reference to this. I did find he mentioned that an ancient cave painting
of the constellation Pleiades had been found that included 4 stars that are
regarded today as only visible with a telescope, and that astronomers had
calculated they weren't any brighter in the Neanderthal days. ...

Bread blamed for short sight
Wednesday, 3 April, 2002, 18:05 GMT 19:05 UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1909075.stm

Short-sightedness could be linked to childhood over-consumption of bread,
rather than [or in addition to] holding books too close, researchers
suggest.

Scientists say diets high in refined starches, such as breads and cereals
increase insulin levels in children.

This, they say, may then affect the development of the eyeball.

The theory put forward by the researchers from Colorado State University in
Fort Collins, and the University of Sydney is that the excess hormone makes
the eyeball abnormally long and causes short-sightedness. ...

Man's blindness 'due to vegan diet'
Thursday, 23 March, 2000, 11:30 GMT
Balanced diet vital for good health
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/687996.stm

A man's strict vegan diet may have caused him to go blind, doctors say.

The 33-year-old man had been on a strict diet for 13 years which involved
cutting out meat, eggs, dairy products, fish and all other sources of animal
protein.

When he was seen by doctors at the Pitie-Salpatriere Hospital in Paris part
of his optic disc had deteriorated and he had "very poor vision".

Blood tests showed he was deficient in key minerals and vitamins.
Supplements failed to improve his vision as his condition was too far
advanced.

The man did not smoke or drink alcohol and his medical history was normal.
tests did not uncover any other reason for his blindness. ....