C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:52:27 -0600
When Janet and I were trying to start a family, our OB/GYN and Family Doc
were great; the ones that seemed surprised we were interested in starting a
family were the ones who "should have known better" - neurologists, PT's
OT's, etc.  We found a great neurology team now, and have educated a lot of
the others.  The education still continues though; both professionally and
personally.  Janet's family actually sounds like they needed less
"education" than mine did.  They weren't tainted by the "professional"
opinions of what someone with CP (or other disabilities) should be able to
accomplish.  It would be interesting to know whether alternative
communication methods have been tried in this girl's case.

My dad was one of those "well educated imbeciles" until I was born, and then
he quickly learned that people with CP could, and should, be expected to do
the same things others do.  From a cultural standpoint, it was tougher for
him, as he had a cousin who was born with Down Syndrome back in the 30's,
and a nephew (my cousin) with significant cognitive and physical
disabilities who was born about  1957.

--

Kendall

depends on the unreasonable man.