From:
"David R. Basden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:43:29 -0700
When I got my novice back in 1956, it was good for only one year and
not renewable.  I hated the thought of code, but was forced to use it
for a year.  My speed built quickly through having QSO's, and before
the year was up, I was ready for the general.  I really think the FCC
had the right idea making the novice nonrenewable.  Now I am only on
phone when there is a DX station I need that isn't on CW or I am
rag-chewing with a friend.  The multiple choice CW test is
laughable.  I have a friend who passed 20 WPM and couldn't carry on a
QSO with me at 5 WPM.  It's too easy to guess the answers from a few
characters copied correctly.

73 de W7OQ, Dave