AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:05:24 -0600

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

>>> AXMEJIA <[log in to unmask]> 11/15/2006 3:47 PM >>>
Dear Faculty, Deans, Students, Academic and Professional Staff:
         Greetings! We write to invite you to join us for a series of
events/presentations being organized on Monday, November 20, to
highlight the transnational dimensions of environmental inequality in
the U.S-Mexico border region----one of the most polluted and
socially-unequal places on earth.  The events are organized as part of a
new distinguished lecture series, Cultural Pluralism in a Global Age,
sponsored by Pathways to Excellence in the College of Letters and
Science in collaboration with various units within the University of
Wisconsin, Madison. The Cultural Pluralism series aims to highlight the
transnational and global dimensions of racial/ethnic, cultural and
religious issues and problems. The presentation scheduled for November
20 is the second in a series for academic year 2006-2007, and will
feature a long-time and well-known transnational/border activist (Mr.
Domingo Gonzalez) as our distinguished guest.  He will be speaking twice
(at lunch and as part of a panel in the evening, on November 20). He
will be joined in the panel presentation by 15 UW-Madison students,
faculty and staff who participated in the Summer service learning course
on environmental justice. We invite you, your students and colleagues to
join us, and ask you to please share this information with others
(please see attached flyer for details).
        The visit by Mr. Domingo Gonzalez and the events he will be a
part of are funded by Pathways to Excellence through the Cultural
Pluralism Lecture Series Grant, and co-sponsored by the Office of
Service Learning and Community-Based Research in the College of Letters
and Science, The Global Studies Program, and the Chicano/a and Latino/a
Studies Program. The events organized for November 20 are designed to
educate everyone about the global problem of environmental injustice, to
highlight the environmental inequalities and grasroots organizing that
is taking place in South Texas and northern Mexico, and to learn from
the experiences that UW-Madison students and faculty had conducting
service learning in Brownsville, Texas and Matamoros, Mexico during the
Summer of 2006.
        As an incentive to join us, we will providing some excellent
food (for both lunch and reception/dinner). We invite you to come and
join us.  Also, please note that the service learning course that took
place last Summer (Environmental Studies/Interdisciplinary Studies 400)
will be offered once again in Summer 2007 (open to both undergraduate
and graduate students) under the direction of Dr. Tess Arenas, director
of the College of Letters and Science Office of Service Learning and
Community Based Research. Therefore, part of the purpose of the events
on November 20 is to inform students how they can enroll in the course
now, the activities involved in the course, and the financial aid they
are likely to receive.
         We look forward to seeing you on Monday at all the events we
have planned.  We ask that you please share this information via all
means necessary (e-newsletter, email, word of mouth, posting, etc). We
would like to see many of you and your students, and lots of
representation from all parts of the university. Thank you.
Cordially,
Armando Xavier Mejia, PhD. Candidate
Co-Coordinator, Cultural Pluralism in A Global Age Lecture Series
Pathways to Excellence/College of Letters and Science
cc: Miguel Rosales, Co-Coordinator
Student Service Coordinator
Chicano/a and Latino/a Student Academic Services