AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:30:31 -0400
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Hi everyone!
My next party will be at the Neighborhood House, Fri. Sep. 9, and is a fundraiser to help build a shelter for abused women and girls in Malawi. I hope you can come out and support:

WHAT: Fundraiser dinner and dance with DJ LAURIE
WHEN: Friday, Sept. 9, dinner from 6:30, dancing 8-12 a.m.....
WHERE: The Neighborhood House, 29 S. Mills St. (near corner of Regent and Mills Streets)
FEE: $10 min. donation

Here are more detials:
Recently,  the New York Times carried a story about the persistent problem of abuse of women and girls in Africa and efforts in some countries, including Nigeria, to establish shelters or safe havens for such women and girls.  Whether you or a member of your family has personally been touched by this problem, I hope you will agree with us that something needs to be done to address it.

The women of Blantyre Baptist Church, Blantyre, Malawi (south central Africa) have recognized this need in their home country and are putting forces together to combat abuse of women and girls in Malawi.  They've therefore organized a project to build a shelter for these women and girls who suffer violence.  (Currently, there are no shelters in Malawi for such victims of violence.)  In solidarity with them, we (friends of Blantyre Baptist Church in Madison, WI) will hold a fundraiser next month to assist them to purchase the land needed to build this shelter.  YOUR SUPPORT IS REQUESTED!

Details of the fundraiser are as follows: