AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:43:17 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Matthew,

I wish I were as certain as you are with regard to your views of Kerry and/or Bush.  My life would then be easier regarding the upcoming presidential elections.  Unfortunately, I am one of those individuals whom some political pundits can't seem to fathom: I am undecided.  According to them, everyone with an ounce of understanding should by now know which one of these two men they'll vote for.  I have more than an ounce of understanding, yet I am undercided.  So, what gives?

My indecision regarding Kerry or Bush is not for lack of understanding of their positions and/or track records.  Rather, it has to do with fundamental conflicts between my core values and what these two individuals and their philosophies represent.

I am a social conservative.  On the issues of abortion and same-sex marriage, I agree with Bush and the Republicans.  Had these been the only issues upon which I would base my vote, I would vote for Bush.  However, the thought of voting for Bush is revolting to me.  I hate the fact that Bush touts his Christian faith and yet the actions of his administration belies that very faith.  The arrogance of the Bush administration, their penchant for twisting the truth or lying, and their foreign policies leave me with no desire to endorse them or vote for them.  On the other hand, I see in Kerry the potential for lowering the bar and allowing for policies that will put the lives of the unborn at risk.  Plus, with Kerry in office, I see the possibility of the appointment of Supreme Court justices that will interprete the Constitution in such a way that same-sex marriage will soon be the order of the day.  I am thus left unsettled, not knowing which of the two evils to vote for.

Can you help?

- Wilmot