VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:58:41 -0400
My apologies for being a bit dense here.  I am not sure exactly what I am
being called to action for.

I think a generic talking signs model to aid in transportation navigation
is a wonderful idea.  Personally, I like the model of having a unit that I
cary that does the talking so that we don't have a bunch of signs and
pedestrian crossing signals yelling all over the place.

However, I don't support a call to action for forcing a bunch of
transportation systems to install a particular brand of talking signage,
or even a patented version.

There is a guy who invented a very cool break for saw blades, as in a
table saw.  As soon as it comes in contact with flesh the break engages
fast enough to prevent serious injury.  I've seen the demonstration
performed with a hot dog.  The hot dog survived with barely a scratch.

The guy who invented this awesome device has patented the concept.  No saw
manufacturer has started to use them on their saws yet so this inventor is
trying to force congress to pass a law that says it is mandatory to
install these breaks on every saw of such and such a horsepower to prevent
all the injuries that occur each year.

I would love to purchase a saw with this feature, but I would never want
congress to pass this law.

Now, if the guy hadn't patented the concept of the saw break and other
inventors could produce the similar concept, I would be all up for
passing the law.

So in my mind it is the same with the talking sign deal.  As long as we
are talking about just supporting the concept of a navigational aid via
infra red transmission, I am all for it.  If we are talking about
supporting a specific brand, or specific protocol that is owned by a
single company, I am not for this action item.

Can someone clear this up for me please?

Thanks.

  --
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi