THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:34:39 -0700
Hello wonderful group.  I have Hasimoto hypothyroid inherited by my mothers thyroid not being controlled while pregnant with me.  I was diagnosed by chance by a wonderful doctor in NJ when starting a diet in 1988.  She is the first one to have seen my blood results be different daily under different circumstances.  Kept me well for about 4 years and then I moved out of state and have not been well since.

I have read quite a bit about the newer theory that if you did not start on Armour then it is possible that the T3 and T4 amounts may not be right in taking Armour down the road.  (as if Synthroid etc have spoiled your ability to handle so much T3) That it may be better to have a little more T4 so the ratio is not of T4 to T3 is a little higher.  I take Lithium and we thought -- good it would make my thyroid stop interfering with replacement -- but I am not sure how to help uptake of the thyroid replacement and get it to be used by the cells.

About a year ago when tested my Free T4, Free T3, T4 uptake were all in range and my tsh was .3 (suppressed basically).  Since then I have gained 80 pounds now my Free T4 and Free T3 are too high and my tsh is 2.4.   As you can imagine I feel like garbage.
All the usual symptoms too, had to cut my hair because it was falling out so much, weight gain, tired, moon face, big toungue, dry skin, problems with callous on feet etc.  Of course all the doctors see is the tsh test.

Would prefer not to change the lithium as it is the gold standard for what I am taking it for -- and am convinced that many of the others I have taken in the past have done a number on my thyroid also.

What can I do to counteract?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Nancy

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!