From:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:06:06 -0700

Thanks to all who replied to my request for GF restaurants and markets in the York/Gettysburg/Lancaster Cty, PA area.  Here's a summary:

Outback, 2496 E Market Str.
Texas Roadhouse, 1510 Mt. Zion Rd.
Eat & Park, 145 Memory Ln.
Natural Choices market Industrial Highway, zip code 17402
Carraba's

In Lancaster there is Rhubarb's Market (health food) on Route 501
just south of Rt 30 between AC Moore and CVS on the same side.
They have another location on route 462 on the western side of
Lancaster.  Rhubarbs has some gf stuff and frozen gf breads.

One street west of 501 is Fruitville Pike.  One block north of 30 on
Fruitville is the Kmart shopping center and they have a Chinese
restaurant where I can eat without getting a gluten reaction: Ming Court.
It is a buffet and also has takout.

Avoid King Buffet on Route 30 east of Lancaster at the corner of
896.  They put breadfiller in the crabcakes (used to be good but
not anymore) and their health inspection in the paper is poor.

Shady Maple Smorgasbord on Route 23 in BlueBall is a better value
than Millers on Route 30 which is very expensive.  Many local crafts -
furniture, quilts plus tourist stuff
They have a less expensive Dutchy Fast Food under the Smorg
which has a couple of hot entres by the plate, or various combinations
of salad/taco/soup/potato bar for a reasonable price.

Yoder's Buffet on Route 23 in New Holland at Tower Road has a nice
buffet cheaper than Shady Maple but smaller selection.

El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant on Route 72, 1&1/2 blocks south of
Route 283 but north of 30 has several stir fry and grilled entres that
seem to be gluten safe -- any of the fajitas (order them no tortilla),
steak dishes and grilled seafood or chicken.    Get to 72 by taking 283
north, then 72 south.

 Ross's Coffee Shop at 65 West Middle Street is a friendly, local
 color place to eat. The owner, Brian Eastman, has CD and so his wife,
 Mary,  keeps GF foods in the freezer ready to serve to us when we stop
 in. They're only open until 2 PM.

Hoss's Steak and Sea House is located on Route 30, which is also
 called York Street, and is about 1/2 mile off of Route 15  at the York
 Street exit. Many items at the salad bar are GF. Ask for "no dust" on
 your steak as the seasoning contains flour. At least , it used to; the
 company tells me that its has discontinued using that "dust" but I
 always ask just to be sure! They also have a website www.hosss.com

Giant, on Route 30 AKA York Street, just
 down from Hoss's, has a nice salad bar which  could serve for lunch.
 They also sell GF items - breads,  rolls, cookies, snacks, GF flours.

The Rose Garden Natural Food store has many GF foods there, including GF meals that can be heated up in a
motel microwave - 39 West Street in G'burg.

Ping's is a Chinese place right off the center square of G'burg, on
 Baltimore street. The soy sauce they use DOES contain wheat, but I ask
 for no soy sauce to be used at all. Most dishes  use cornstarch as a
 thickener. Use general precautions as you would at any Chinese
 restaurant.

Stauffers of Kissel Hill (Lititz Pike-Lititz) (grocery store) has a
great Selection of GF foods.  Also has a great selection of GF foods.
Shady Maple Smorgasbord in Morgantown (RT.23 - New Holland Pike) approx.20 min. ride from RT.30.

Grocery/organic stores that sell gluten-free products:
Rhubarbs Market
1342 Columbia Avenue
Lancaster, PA 17603
717-392-0333
also located at:
1521 Lititz Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601
717-390-3001

25 miles north of Lancaster is an EXCELLENT store for gluten-free
products:
Nutricurean
1101 Woodland Road
Berkshire Mall West
Wyomissing, PA 19610
610-898-0745

Also, some of the larger Weis Markets Grocery Store chains
have a small aisle of gluten free products.   *

The Essential Gluten-Free Restaurant Guide - state-by-state directory of restaurants
and GF menus from chain restaurants.   www.triumphdining.com

 Good and Plenty on RT.896 , I think is better than Plain and Fancy.
Us locals only go when tourists are gone.

Miller's Smorgesborg is RT30E from the Host. They are on top of
diets and know about Celiac. It's a little pricey, but good.

There is a Wal-Mart heading West, but do not go on the by-pass, (stay
on Lincoln Highway) about 1/2 mile from where you are.. Do not go at
night, not my favorite Wal-mart. They have had some problems at night.
New Target Close by.

Akron Nutrition Ctr  on Route 272 has a lot of gf stuff - cereal,
cookies, crackers, bread.  They seem to be catering to the gf crowd.

Akron Nutrition Center. 22 N 7th St Akron, PA 17501. (717) 859-4901
(On Route 272 at the top of the hill in Akron) just south of Rothsville
Road (Ephrata).

Donneker's in Ephrata is very expensive and tourist oriented.

www.goodhealthpublishing.com

Marian
Oregon