Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:00:31 -0400

Thank you all who responded so quickly to me about henna.  I learned a wealth of information and appreciate all your knowledge.  This is what you wrote back:

You may have gotten the answer by now, but probably is GF.  We just had it
done and the one they used had lemon and eucaliptis oil (not spelling that
right) and ground up henna leaves.  My 2 kids and I had no problem with it
and we ARE one of those non-DH celiacs that also react to gluten on our
skin.

If they are using traditional henna it is fine...there is no wheat of any sort of derivation that goes into henna.  Just make sure that they aren't using Black Henna...its hair dye and will cause terrible blisters, scarring...its poinsonous.  But true henna is just that:  henna, vinegar or lemon juice, an essential oil of some sort to "terp" the paste (makes it stain better).  She'll have fun.  I got my daughter a kit for her birthday and researched it first.

You dont have to worry about the paste, as one has to ingest gluten for it to be harmful.
It has to pass through the digestive system.

there shouldn't be any gluten in henna BUT allergic reactions are VERY
common. I'd advice your daughter to try the colour out somewhere where
it does not show before she decides to do one for real. And, of course
read the label of the colour used.

the one I use is GF, however, be very careful, some tattoo artists
like to use black henna and often there is a very bad dye in that
henna that can cause horrific allergic reactions.

The only thing, and I'm sure if this is a reputable henna artist s/he'd know
this, but make sure your children know if the henna looks black in color to ask
if it's free of PPD (Para-phenylenediamine).  This is extremely important.  PPD
is very dangerous and should never be put on the skin.  It can cause serious
skin problems - check out http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html for more information on this.  Henna should leave a brown or an orangey-brown stain.  There are other varieties out there too that are glittery or blue and even a
safe black called, Harquus (this is used in the movies/tv for actors who need a
specific kind of tattoo and for it to look real).

This was posted Apr 18th - Summary: Reaction to fake tatoos -
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=ind0604C&L=CELIAC&P=R2612&I=-3
I also saw a TV program recently where kids had serious reactions and even scars from temporary tattoos. Here is a site from the FD that gives a little information about henna tattoos and temporary tattoos. http://www.fda.gov/womens/getthefacts/tattoos.html
I found it with a google search
--
Lisa

*******