From:
Joshua Karpen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:15:29 -0500

Hello all!

The following recipe is from my mother (Dad is Celiac too) and is VERY good:

-Josh K. (Asheville, NC)

POTATO LATKES

serves 6

2 lbs potatoes.  We like yukon gold, but any will really do.  Don't use
Idaho or that type
2 large egs
1small onion
4TBL potato starch or all purpose gluten free flour
1tsp baking powder
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
Serve with sour cream and or apple sauce

Scrub the potatoes, I don't bother to peel, but you can.  Finely grate
them  and the onion in the food processor.  I use the blade.
Put them into cold water and they can stay there until you are ready to
use.  Drain in colander and put into a tea towel and twist up ends and
squeeze out as much moisture as you ca
Lightly beat eggs  and mix with rest of ingredients.
Film the bottom of a frying pan with oil(lay out paper towels or opened
paper grocery bags to lay the latkes on)
and heat.  Take about a 1/4 cup of mixture and form with hands into a
patty.  Slip into hot oil.  Lower the oil a bit so that the latkes cook
evenly.  When one side is brown turn brown the other side.  Lift out and
drain on the paper.  Serve very hot.  If you want to make ahead, you can
heat the oven to 450 and put the latkes on a cookie sheet and reheat
until they are hot and crisp.  The oil will bubble out.
If you add more oil to pan, make sure that it is hot before putting in
more batter.  Oil is hot when a bit of batter sizzles.

Enjoy! Happy Chanukah.

*******
*******