From:
"Jody H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jody H.
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 06:50:52 -0700

 live on the big
island.  but you will probably just have to keep your
diet sort of simple while you are there.  i can find
most everything i need here but no dccc.  kauai will
probably be similar to my island as far as what stores
carry.

as for the plane, call the airline ahead of time and
find out exactly what they'll allow you to bring on.
it is a long flight.

i recently had to travel with my 10 month old son and
several medications and the airline was well informed
on what i could bring.  also i was able to find some
info on the tsa website.

Here are the responses on GF dining and shopping on the Big Island of
Hawaii.

Dining:
Huggo's in Kailua-Kona - Friend ate there twice and no problems
Roy's- Waikola Resort - wonderful dinner and followed by gf chocolate
souffle _www.roysrestaurant.com_ (http://www.roysrestaurant.com)
Outback in Kona
McDonalds- Patties and Fries
Ocean Grill- Right across from Outback on Main Strip
The Little Juice Shack-Parker Ranch Shopping center

Shopping:
Health Food Store next to Wal-Mart- Lots of good gf items.
Costco

Here are some resources on Hawaii. There is an excellent health food  store
in Kailua-Kona. This is up the hill
from the King Kamehameha  Hotel.

Kona Natural Foods
Crossroads Shopping Center
75-1027 Henry  ST #105
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
808-329-2296

If you should get over  to the Hilo (Volcano) side of the Big Island, there
are two suitable  stores.

Island Naturals
303 Maka'ala ST
Hilo, HI  96720
808-935-5533
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask] )

Kea'au natural foods
Kea'au Town Shopping Center
16-586 Old Volcano  Road
Suite 109
Kea'au, HI 96749
808-966-8877

I went to Kuai in May of this year. I have celiac disease plus allergies to
dairy, soy, almonds, chocolate & coffee.  My daughter has allergies to
dairy, soy , strawberries, tomatoes & raspberries.  We stayed at Resortquest
@ Poipu Kai (Poipu Beach area) & had out own kitchen & cooking supplies. I
brought some bread mixes & got a foil disposable pan at the store to use
when baking.  This worked great.  I packed a variety of things w/ me, but
was very very surprised that there was actually a health food store in one
of the nearby towns near the main food store.  They had a variety of pastas,
sauces, bread/ cake/ brownie mixes. Plenty of GF stuff,not necessarily
compatible w/ what I could eat, but very impressive for such a small store.

*******
*******