ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:14:56 +0100
David and all,

They do in fact have these events quite often in the UK and there's at least
one restaurant in London where a visually impaired friend of mine works as a
part-time waiter.  It's facinating and fun!  They do things a little
differently and here, in case you're interested, is a little more
explanation:

The waiters are responsible for looking after all guests who come to dine in
the dark.  I am not sure if they use glasses (forgot to ask) but they go
through a series of curtains into areas that are less and less light.  They
are guided through in a line by their waiter and seated (by him/her) at the
table, as he chooses.  He then takes orders and collects food from the
kitchen.  The kitchen staff dish up and put the plates on a trolley
(obviously ordered) and the blind waiters take them through corridors to the
dining area.  My friend says that they have one or two little rules and try
to insist that their guests remain seated at all times at their tables.  He
will ensure his guests are visited by him every few minutes to check on
their needs/progress.

David, if you want to organise such an event for church then I'm sure I can
put you directly in touch with Karl.  He is a long-standing friend, though
not a Christian (as yet) and visits us from time to time.  He knows exactly
where we stand and in fact was Mike's "Best Man" so got a good basin of
truth from God that day!

--
Carol