ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 20:54:35 -0600
Of course, back in the early sixties, I was only 8 to 12 years old but I
listened to a
local rock and roll station in Des Moines, Iowa where I grew up.  In the
late sixties, I really got into all the acid rock bands since that
paralleled my friends and the drugs we were doing.  One of the stations I
still listen to once and awhile here in Denver is a classic rock station.
It makes me mad, though, because they play way more Led Zeppelin than I care
to hear, and not enough Grand Funk Railroad, Iron Butterfly, of course they
only made one song, haw, I can't remember hearing one Cream song in years on
this station, and they definitely don't play hardly any Chicago.  Now how
can you call yourself a classic rock station and not play any of that?  We
used to have, every Sunday night, on a country station, two hours of super
great blue grass.  One of the Christian stations also used to have an hour
program on Sunday afternoons of great Christian blue grass but I haven't
heard it for a long time.  It was, I believe, a national program.  I miss
it.  I listen to old jazz and new jazz, new age type stuff some times, I
also enjoy listening, for awhile, to a FM station that plays, I think on
Saturday nights, a lot of techno music.  Yes, I actually like some of that
stuff.  I used to listen to the national show called Echoes on National
Public
Radio on Sunday nights.  I'm still on their mailing list.  It was all things
new age ambience type electronic stuff.  I'm sure there is a name for it but
I just can't remember now.  If I could play a little better, I mean, if I
could play at all, I would love burning my own stuff using one of those
fancy electronic keyboards.  I have a list of one word songs to which I
have different songs in that type of music, whatever its called.  Like,
ocean, sky, moon, sun, fish, wave, rain, light, dove, creation, and there
just is no end to that sort of thing.  Nope, I don't care much for
classical.  I listen to some of it once and awhile but not often.  My friend
Keith really hacks me off.  He is that guy who comes and prays with us on
Fridays.  He just turned 50 and still has long hair.  It is turning gray, of
course, but he doesn't care.  He is 6 foot 3 and weighs, I know this
because he saw my new talking bathroom scale in my office and stepped on to
it, he weighs 161 pounds.  He did way too much coke and other speed
related drugs back in the seventies so he hardly eats today.  Before he was
born
again, his doper friends, those who got arrested and put into the state pen,
he would smuggled dope into them.  A little harder to do these days.
Anyhow, Keith made me mad two or three years ago.  He went to a Chicago
concert here in Denver, outdoors, and he never told me there were in town.
I missed it.  I jumped his case big time.  I just could not believe he would
not think to tell me so I could have gone.  So, if you know what that spacy
music is called these days, let me know.  I'd buy some of it but as weird as
the performers are they describe in between songs, I don't want to support
them.  I told somebody the other day that I was going to make a CD of our
dogs
barking and sell it on the internet.  Oh, I also like nature sounds.  I'd
own a ton of those if I could afford that many.  One of my favorite groups,
I'm still tempted to buy just the 9 releases they have made, is a group
called Yutoka.  It is pronounced you taka.  They are a very sophisticated
sort of a Caribbean sounding group which might be called Brazil 66, 77, 88,
99, and what happened to them after that.  Anyhow, forget it.  That is a
very poor comparison compared to this group I am talking about.  Oh, yeah, I
forgot.  I liked Pink Floyd but you had to be high, like they were, to get
anything out of their music.  Yes, I know, they are still around and they
have improved but I lost interest in them years ago.  I did go to a Grateful
Dead concert once when I was about 17 but I never saw why people liked them
that much.  Again, you had to be stoned, as they were, when they played to
appreciate them.  Nope.  I never really liked the Beatles and still don't.
Sure, I listened to them a lot but never bought one of their records back in
the sixties.  Say, have you noticed the trend of words the travel across
radio?  The latest hot word is jandra.  That's what it sounds like.  Like
the name Sandra but it sounds like it starts with a jay.  I can't even find
how it is spelled on google.  My dictionaries don't show it, not spelled
that way any how, so I give up.  Does anybody know how it is spelled?

Phil.

Has He Ever Crossed Your Mind?
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com