ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:21:12 -0500
The Need for Salvation

Ephesians 2:1-3

Christ-followers know the importance of being saved, but the world sees no
need for rescue. Let's think about some key truths regarding man's need for
salvation.
Those who don't have a personal relationship with God through His Son Jesus
are:

Spiritually dead. Many people don't realize that there are three kinds of
death - physical, eternal, and spiritual. Eternal death comes at the end of
the
age, when all those who have refused Jesus as Savior are cast away from God
permanently (Matthew 25:41). Spiritual death occurred in the Garden of Eden.
Disobedience severed Adam and Eve's intimate connection to God and caused
all of their descendants to be spiritually detached from Him. (Romans 5:12)
We're
born as "dead" people in need of new life.

Living a life of sin. Our nature is to rebel against God, and that is called
sin. Over and over we choose what pleases us, not Him. Our efforts to free
ourselves from the power of sin are in vain (John 8:34). Enslaved to sin, we
need someone to rescue us.

Under divine wrath. Because of our disobedience, we are under God's
judgment, awaiting punishment. All efforts to earn His approval and escape
our sentence
are insufficient. Sinful man has nothing acceptable to offer holy God. Our
only hope of escape is for someone else to take our penalty.

The good news is that the Lord has provided a way for all to pass from
spiritual death to life, from the bondage of sin into freedom, and from
condemnation
to intimacy with Him. Jesus Christ alone is the way, and He meets every need
(John 14:6).