From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:14:03 -0500
At 19:55 18-03-98 -0500, Dave wrote:
>When I was trying to install the 6.4 GB hard drive that I'm still trying
>to install a tech person from western digital said I shouldn't use the
>xcopy function.

For simplicity, let's say you only have one partition on the old drive
(drive C:), that Win95 is installed on it, and that you have already
fdisked and formatted your new drive so it is recognized as D:.

Type this command into "Start", "Run":

XCOPY C:\ D:\ /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y

You might degrag the C: drive and clear your browser's cache first
to make the process faster.

Once done, you must switch jumper settings on the two drives (check in
CMOS setup afterwards) and set the primary partition on the new drive
"active" (bootable) with FDISK. (Have a Win95 startup diskette handy.)

If you use xcopy32 instead of XCOPY, or use different switches, or run
it from somewhere other than the "Run" menu, you can run into problems.
Maybe that's why the tech person said not to use it. Or maybe he was
not familiar with the correct use of XCOPY with RICHKEY. As described
above, XCOPY works. I have successfully done it a few times myself, and
I know someone who has had his workers do it literally hundreds of times.
(Several times a day for over a year that I know of.)

Regards,
Bill