AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:01:52 -0500

AFRICA FEST 2007 - AUGUST 11, 2007 at WARNER PARK

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year:Oct - Sept.

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

Vera,

Is Canada the only model for universal health care? How about other
Western developed countries as examples.

Tru
Quoting VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>:

> AFRICA FEST 2007 - AUGUST 11, 2007 at WARNER PARK
>
> Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year:Oct - Sept.
>
> Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
> Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
> Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

> http://www.cnehealth.org/pubs/health_care_in_canada.pdf
>
> "For example, in its 2001 annual survey involving more than 2,500
> doctors in twelve different specialties, the Canadian think tank,
> the Fraser Institute, found that, for patients requiring surgery,
> the total average waiting time from the initial visit to the family
> doctor through to surgery was sixteen weeks, a significant increase
> over the last year of the study. In every category, physicians felt
> waiting times had exceeded “clinically reasonable” delays (Gratzer,
> 2002, pg 20). Canadians wait an average of 5 months for a cranial
> MRI scan; Americans just 3 days (Bell, et al, 1998). Indeed, Canada
> has fewer MRIs per capita than Iceland, Hungary, South Korea, and
> the Czech Republic (Gratzer, 2002, pg 53). Unsurprisingly, many
> choose to fly south to the US for diagnosis and treatment."
>
> "Dozens of diagnostic and therapeutic products developed decades
> ago, in widespread use in other countries, are relatively
> unavailable to Canadians." "...The core requirement of the 1984 Act
> is that hospital and physician services be 100 per cent publicly
> financed. But as health care becomes less focused on hospital and
> physician care (together they comprise less than half of total
> health care expenditure in Canada) and more focused on community
> care and drugs (the latter now exceed physician costs), less and
> less healthcare treatment service is covered by medicare. Dental
> insurance, eye-care insurance, insurance for prescription drugs,
> ambulance services, medical devices, private health insurance
> covering the upgrading of hospital rooms and out of country
> insurance are all outside the scope of medicare.
> For-profit clinics have sprung up across the country."
>
> Is this really what we want? 5 months for a cranial MRI?
> Ridiculous...and perhaps fatal in some cases.
>
> *** Send email to the list: [log in to unmask] ***
> *** Access AAM list archives: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/AAM.html ***

"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle"