From:
Tim Klymkow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:34:40 -0500
Paul,

Here's what you need to do for a successful transfer of ALL files to your
new drive:

This is tricky. Follow the instructions carefully!

Prerequisites: A Windows95 startup disk

1) Install your new, blank hard drive as a slave.
2) Format the new hard drive (using FDISK and FORMAT, for instance).
3) From a DOS WINDOW INSIDE WINDOWS95 (THIS IS IMPORTANT!), type the
following command:

        XCOPY C:\*.* D:\*.* /s/c/h/e/r/k

Notes: If you get a "switch not recognized" error, you're doing it wrong. To
find out what these switches do, type xcopy /? from a DOS WINDOW INSIDE
WINDOWS95. This command assumes that your new hard drive was assigned the
letter D:\. Choose "yes" when asked to overwrite any files.

4) When copying is finished, turn off the computer, open it up, and
reconfigure so that the new hard drive is the Primary Master drive.

5) Boot to the Win95 startup disk. Using FDISK (or other such utility), set
the Primary Partition on the new drive as Active.

6) Eject the Startup disk and reboot. If Windows95 does not boot from the
hard drive, put the startup disk back in and boot to it. At the A:\ prompt,
type:

SYS C:

This will recopy the system files to the new hard drive.
7) Reboot to the hard drive. It should boot to Windows95.

There are lots of reasons why the above procedure might not work on a
particular system. You'll be doing a lot of plugging and unplugging of IDE
and power cables, moving jumpers around, so it's easy to get one of these
things wrong, ie, incorrectly jumpered drives, cables that aren't correctly
seated on the pins, incorrect HD paramaters in CMOS, etc. Also, if you have
an older BIOS, it might not correctly recognize your new, larger hard drive.
Also, the instructions above are a bit tricky to follow, and unless you are
very careful, you will do something wrong the first time you try it.