From:
Steve Face <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:56:12 -0700
This is a common problem with HD addition to a system running Windows 95 (I
presume). The problem is Registry related. I recently went through this and
found the solution at the Ghost Software web page. If you don't have the
"NOIDE" key present in the Registry, and you don't have any real mode
drivers loaded from config.sys or autoexec.bat, and your CMOS is fine, then
try this: Remove (move) your system.dat file and replace it with the
system.1st file in the root directory. When you reboot, the drivers will be
rebuilt according to the present hardware configuration. This almost worked
for me, but the system froze when rebuilding the Control Panel. You can
then try removing the system.dat file and reinstalling Windows 95 from DOS
prompt. If all else fails, remove your windows directory and install
Windows 95 all over. This worked for me, although it was a pain installing
all my software (got rid of a lot of old stuff though). One more
thing....If you are running 95 or 95a, don't use the upgraded Intel Bus
Master drivers.

>Had originally posted this to PCSOFT (thought it might be an updated
>driver or OS issue) but was asked by the moderator to post it here.
>
>Have an ASUS m/b with a VX chipset (I think this has something to do with
>my problem) and 3 IDE drives set up properly as Primary Master & Slave
>and Secondary Master.  In Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager, I
>have yellow exclamation points under the Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master
>Controller, in front of the two entries for Primary and Secondary IDE
>Controller (dual fifo).  Under the performance tab, all three drives are
>listed as using DOS compatibility mode.
>
>I've been a member of this list (actually all three) for a long time now,
>and seem to recall something about this kind of problem, but haven't been
>able to go back and find any messages I might have archived about it.  My
>vague recollection had something to do with the existence of a "noide"
>(or something similar) registry entry, but I can find no such entry in mine.
>
>Is my problem related to what I seem to be remembering, or something else
>(like an updated driver for the IDE controller that I need to download
>from microsoft.com)?  Thanks much!
>

>-JOWj.

>"The Pledge of Allegiance says, 'With liberty and justice for ALL.'  What
>part of ALL do you not understand?" - Rep. Pat Schroder.

                         Need help with PCBUILD:
                [log in to unmask]  or  http://nospin.com