From:
michael raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:38:53 -0800
Cross-reactivities, as I understand it, describes
reactivities to a protein that is similar to an
allergen.  For instance, the protein in ragweed that
causes allergy problems is similar to a protein in
watermelon.  Therefore, especially when it is hayfever
season, eating watermelon can make hayfever symptoms
worse.  Cooking is supposed to denature most of the
proteins in foods that cross-react with the actual
allergens.  One exception that I recall is that the
protein in celery is not denatured by cooking.  If
cross-reactivities are a problem then it is better to
eat fruits and vegetables well-cooked than raw (or
juiced).

Mike

>"Kristina K. Carlton"
My doctor did talk about cross-reactives to airborne
allergens. Speaking of those, I thought eliminating
grains,dairy, legumes, and sugar should prevent one
from reacting to airborne allergens?!

It's here! Your new message!