Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:27:53 -0500
mark wilson:
> The reason I'm concerned about this is because Richard Bernstein
> mentions in his book that fasting levels over 87 result in increased
> mortality.  Not good!  I feel I'm doing everything right, but this one
> thing won't go away despite my excellent, very low carb diet, my
> exercise regime, which includes weightlifting, high intensity interval
> work, and cardio.

Thanks for this info. All I had to go on was what is listed as clinically
"normal" for fasting glucose on my blood test results (74-106 mg/dl). I was
at 72 and was wondering if I was a little below "normal" or if, like with
most other lab figures, what is considered "normal" is far off from what is
optimum. According someone who referenced Dr. Bernstein, the optimum fasting
glucose level range is 70 to 85, depending on the individual. I fall within
that range. (See The Bernstein Hb-A1c to Average Blood Glucose Conversion
Table, http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html)

> I'm taking a serious look at metformin right now, even
> though I abhor the thought of going on a med for the
> rest of my natural life.
>
> Anyway, looking to get the discussion going again to
> see if anyone has any brilliant ideas.....

You might try posting your question on Dr. Bernsteins' site. He also has a
discussion forum.

I'll add these figures to my ongoing list of clinically "normal" vs. optimal
figures...

(Male adult)		"Normal" Range	-	Optimal (hunter-gatherers)

Blood Pressure Numerator	110-130	-	117
Blood Pressure Denominator	70-80		-	72
LDL cholesterol ("bad")		<130		-	30-70
Glucose, fasting (mg/dl)	74-106	-	70-85