From:
"Dr. R Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:20:38 -0700
Hi Philip,

>(snip)

> Cordain et al found that chronically high blood sugar is a
> factor contributing to nearsightedness by causing excessive
> growth in the vitreal chamber growth. Perhaps the Paleo
> vision improvement occurs in part because of a reduction in
> blood sugar spikes that reduces insulin level spikes, which
> then somehow reverses some of the vitreal chamber growth. How
> this reversal would occur I don't know.
If memory serves, that work was done in infants and may not apply to adults.
Nonetheless, as you mention, uncontrolled blood sugar in diabetic patients
can lead to blindness.

> (snip)

> Nutrients and antioxidants have also been reported to improve
> vision or slow eye degeneration. The improved nutrition and
> antioxidant levels of the Paleo diet and the improved
> absorption of nutrients that result from it could result in
> vision improvements.

I suspect that vitamin A status plays a huge part in improving night vision.

I experienced improved night vision status when I began a gluten-free diet
that was still very high in carbs.

Best Wishes,
Ron