From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:45:56 -0600
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:10:23 -0600, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> My "clean SAD" alreadyavoided white
>> sugar and white flour, pasta, starches (potatoes, etc), fried
>> foods, and convenience foods.  So paleo wasn't a huge switch.
>
> Ah, well that's a different matter. Wouldn't you agree that a "clean" SAD
> diet that avoids white sugar, white flour, pasta, starches, fried foods
> and convenience foods is not the same thing as the SAD?

Probably.  It's definitely different than mine was for the first 37 years
of my life.

> Isn't your "clean"  SAD
> diet closer to the general understanding of the Paleo diet, or at least
> to traditional diets (as advocated by Weston Price), than to the SAD?

I would think so, yes.

> Instead of an exception to the rule that those who eat modern foods,
> including lots of grains, will tend to have one or more of the symptoms
> of modern foods syndrome (such as the "pudginess" I mentioned), isn't
> your case of losing 55 lbs. after eliminating white flour, pasta and
> other modern
> foods confirmation of the general rule?

Maybe.  My point was that I spent the first 37 years of my life on the
SAD, including plenty (and I mean *plenty*) of white flour, sugar, and the
like.  I had more than my share of pizzas, bread, candy, cake, pie, and so
on.  Pizza buffet places would cringe when I walked in.  (For that matter,
all buffet places cringe when I walk in.  I don't lose money at the
buffet. :-) )  And at the end of those 37 years, other than being a little
overweight*, I did not have any major health issues.  Even when I was on
the SAD, I was always strong and healthy and rarely sick.  My change in
diet was purely a preventative measure, mainly to control my weight, and
then later as I became more aware of the impact of diet, to maintain my
health over the long term.

> It sounds like my original post was
> fairly on the mark in your case, with the possible exception being that I
> might need to modify "lots of grains" to "lots of refined grains." Your
> move to a Paleo diet from your "clean" SAD diet sounds more like the
> continuation of a logical progression than a dramatic change in
> direction.

That's probably right.  The dramatic change in direction came 5 years ago
when I cleaned up the SAD.

*You might think "a little overweight" would not describe someone who
could lose 55 lbs.  But at my height (6' 4"), it really didn't seem that I
was "fat".  Nobody I knew considered me particularly overweight.  My
waistline creeping up on 40" was the trigger point for me, where I decided
the trend had to be reversed.

--
   Robert Kesterson