Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:45:14 -0600
Mike,

There is a very active yahoo group dedicated to a raw paleo diet.  You will
find a wealth of information in the archives:

I have been eating raw meat, almost strictly, for over a year now.  I have,
without issue, eaten unfrozen raw beef, lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, duck,
salmon, smelt, shrimp, oysters, sea urchin, and of course, egg yolks. Raw
marrow is easily one of my favorite foods.  I have also eaten raw liver and
kidney, which I did not really enjoy the taste of unfortunately. I have not
eaten raw pork, but mostly because it is always a grain fed animal and I
seem to react to grain fed mammal meat.  Pigs were meants to be eating
grass, acorns, roots, and rodents and I have found no farm in the USA that
does not allow their pigs to eat grain.  I prefer to grind meat myself
because buying ground beef, even from the highest quality farms, imparts a
slightly off taste.  I sometimes enjoy cooking cuts of beef that are very
fatty and inedible raw, such as oxtail and shortribs.  The problem is that I
find I can sit there and eat those cooked meats all day long without getting
much of a stop signal.  On the other hand, raw meat becomes unattractive
very quickly once you have had enough.  I find that raw meat digests very
quickly.  If I go overboard on eating more raw meat than I need in a
sitting, I can easily get a 'meat rush' which feels exactly like I have
eaten too much sugar.  I would guess this is because it is digested so
efficiently that it all 'hits' at once.

What is most interesting to me is that I have gotten violently ill only
twice since starting a 100% raw animal foods diet.  That was after the first
two occasions that I attempted to eat *cooked* meat after not having touched
it for many years.   Go figure?!

I have also experimented with cooking bone broth, but am unsure how I feel
about it because gelatin is not quite paleo. It is an unbalanced protein
like many of the vegetable proteins that a paleo diet avoids great
consumption of.  I have also felt the addictive side-effects of the supposed
glutamate that a long broth is said to produce.  There has been no
conclusive proof that boiling bones with acid leaches calcium or other
minerals, though many people have searched for it.