From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:33:47 -0800
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:37:56 -0500, Greg Davis <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Its hard to search for reliable info on the subject, I end up coming
>across Kevin Trudeau type junk science that I can't rely on.

The human mind seems to be able to create an infinite number of principles
around which to design health practices..

For example, I've seen supplements touted as "the most prevalent substance in
the human body" and other ones touted as "the rarest substance in the human
body".  :-)

As far as food combining, at first one tends to think about it in terms of the
solitary person trying to survive in the Pleistocene (who would thereby only
have had one food at a time), but the current best research is that humans lived
in groups of 50-200 people.

So, while we did not grow crops, nevertheless our current concept of "meals"
comprising several items probably was an early development in human society,
since food gathering was likely to have been a primary focus of all those
people.

The other factor is that physiological diversity is a big survival factor (since
it means that some extreme condition would be less likely to wipe out the whole
species).   So, that means that ultimately, each person is going to thrive on a
somewhat different set of health practices than another.  In this case, this
would mean that a particular person might find some health impairment due to
eating certan foods - or certain combinations of foods - that might not pose a
problem for most other people.

So, in the end, trial and error is our best method.  Remember that Ray Audette
was only able to verify the Paleo diet idea after trying it and finding it
worked for him.

--
Cheers,

Ken