From:
michael raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 04:13:23 -0700
I just filled my freezer with about 140 pounds of
grass-fed beef.  I told the butcher that I wanted the
fat, which I got for free.  I have about 40 pounds of
it in the freezer.  I want to render the fat so I can
use it.  I am unclear, however, if there is a
difference between suet and tallow for use in food.
My wife wants to bake with it, but she found that suet
should be used but not tallow.  As far as making
pemmican or using in cooking is there any difference
between suet and tallow?  Looking at what I have, I am
assuming that most of it would be called tallow, but I
am really not sure of the difference other than what I
read in the dictionary.

When rendering the fat, Audette says to let the fat
cool and repeat the process of heating.  Is this
necessary?  How long should it take to render the fat
if I keep the temp at 250?

Also, if I am successful at render the fat I intend to
try to make pemmican according to the directions in
Audette.  I plan to buy a food dehydrator to make
jerky.  Are there any recommendations of the cuts of
meat that I should use?

Thanks,
Mike

Yahoo! for Good
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter