ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 13:11:54 -0400
Carol,
They are actually going deeper than just sleep.  They believe that
there is a connection between breast cancer and melatonin
production.  The brane produces melatonin in response to the light
received from the eye.  Because melatonin production is out of wack,
especially for those who have either lost their sight later in life
or had their eyes removed,  blind people become an interesting sub
group to study.  They are trying to work on two issues.  The first
one is how to help blind people who have sleep issues get better
sleep.  The second issue has to do with estrigen and melatonin
production in geneeral.  One therey so far is that blind women have a
lower rate of breast cancer because they have lower melatonin
production.  The more people that can be found to participate in the
study, the more accurate the results.
Kathy