Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:44:21 -0500

Hello Kind Folks,

I'm wondering if any of you even after being  GF (about six years for me)  are having a problem with loosing calcium in your urine?  I just got a phone call yesterday from my endocrinologist's office telling me that I have this problem. I don't think it has ever been a problem before, however I am deficient in vitamin D. I have osteopenia, and do take Calcium with magnesium and 800mg of vitamin D. Since going GF my osteopenia is better after the second test. This is over a four year period.

I also have fibromyalgia, and my doctor (endocrinologist)  wants me to go on HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide) brand name Lisinopril, for the problem. It is a blood pressure medication. It is also a diuretic. I have at one time been diagnosed with Neurally Mediated Hypotension. This medication does not indicate that I should be on it. Nor will I go on it. My blood pressure is normally very low. I went for a endoscopy about 3 weeks ago and it was really low, the lowest I have ever seen it (68/48) Yep, that low. It normally runs about 89-90 / 58-68 . I have to struggle to keep the blood pressure up to feel ok. (If I really work on it hard, I can get it up to 100-110/68)  I have to take salt and drink a lot of water all day, because I get dehydrated easily. I am also carbohydrate and dairy intolerant. I can't eat any grains at all. I had been cheating on the carb free diet (it is a comfort food for me in hard times), so I suspect this could have been some of the problem.

Have any of you had this problem of losing calcium and what did your doctors do about it? I know that it is common to be deficient in calcium (I have been deficient in Magnesium as well), but how do you keep from losing it.

Another side effect of loosing calcium in urine can be kidney stones. In November, I had what I thought was a urinary tract infection, but after seeing several doctors (my endocrinologist and my GP), they both said I had blood in my urine but no infection. I had to go see a urologist, who did a CAT scan and went directly into the bladder and found nothing, but concluded that it was probably a kidney stone. There was no calcium in my urine at that time, but I am not sure if the Urologist was looking for calcium. I would think he would have, since some kidney stones can be associated with too much calcium.

Anyone had any experience with any of this?

Thanks,
Diana in RI