From:
Debra Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:51:22 -0400

Thank you to all who replied to my recent post regarding my son's experience
with this cereal.  Below is a summary of these replies, with additional
comments by me to (2) and (3), below, in [brackets]:

(1)  There was another similar experience with Cocoa Puffs, conjectured to
be due to cross-contamination and over-consumption (their child really liked
them, too).  Dora cereal, Pebbles, and Neopets were reported to work fine in
this respondent's experience.

(2)  POST Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles were offered as GF options by 2
respondents.  [It has been our experience, as well, that these POST cereals
are OK.  My son had been eating Cocoa Pebbles prior to his antibody re-test
at 6 months.  We had some concerns about possible cross-contamination, but
decided to let him try it as we weren't sure either way.  As I indicated in
my original post, his re-test at 6 months out from diagnosis / institution
of a GF diet (including Cocoa Pebbles) went from extremely positive to
negative, and we have had no other known instances of possible inadvertent
gluten (e.g., no similar disposition, digestive, energy or growth issues).]

(3)  One reply recommended Envirokidz Koala Crisp as a GF version of Cocoa
Puffs.  [Having three biopsy-diagnosed celiacs in my family, we have
likewise consumed this and other Envirokidz GF cereals without problem.]

(4)  One respondent offered the opinion that cereal is one of the riskiest
foods for celiacs due to very high cross contamination risk and ingredient
changes.  With several celiac family members, they had tried the brand-name
cereals but gave up after noticing problems such as getting crabby and
head-achey, and having general discomfort.  After stopping the cereal, it
would clear up, and they feel that it is not worth it to them.  Now, they
only use cereal marked as GF, with their favorites being Erewon Rice-Twice,
Glutino cereal and Envirokidz cereals.

(5)  One reply recounted another child's similar symptomatology with
inadvertent gluten in ready-to-drink Carnation Instant Breakfast.

(6)  The following were offered as breakfast alternatives that one
respondent enjoys:  (a) Using left-over cornbread for cereal by heating it
in the microwave, putting on a bit of butter, some sugar and cold milk; (b)
Using left over rice the same way; (c) Eating grits as a cereal or cooked
with some cheese for a side dish.

(7)  One reply suggested contacting General Mills directly regarding details
on the ingredients in the cereal, providing their number as 1-800-328-1144.

(8) One reply advised of the Feingold Diet, which involves eating no
artificial products (e.g., coloring, flavoring, preservatives).  Because
Cocoa Puffs was considered to be a very artificial product, the respondent
thought that perhaps my son's reaction may have been due to the coloring,
flavoring, and/or preservatives and may have had absolutely nothing to do
with celiac disease.  The respondent's personal experience included a child
with hyperactivity, Tourette Syndrome, and dyslexic tendencies with a
dramatic and consistent change in response to the diet:  behavior, i.e.
moodiness, anxiety, etc., ability to concentrate, and grades reacted to the
diet in a highly positive way.  This diet was adopted by the entire family,
with improvement in another family member's debilitating headaches, and has
been voluntarily continued by the child into adulthood.  Existence of a
website and a nationwide organization with subgroups for each state and
local area were referenced for the Feingold Diet.

END OF SUMMARY