From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 05:12:48 -0700

I have always known that the CrackerBarrel line of cheddar only is not only gluten free, but also lactose free.  It says on the label  "0mg of lactose".  I recently wrote Kraft to ask for more info on how to determine from labels whether other products may be free of or with very little lactose.  I received the following.  I read those labels on shredded cheeses she has referred to in this email.  They too state "0mg of lactose"  What a wonderful thing!

"Thank you for visiting http://www.kraftfoods.com/.
  I'd be glad to provide you with some information on the lactose content in our products.
  While I'm not able to provide the exact lactose levels in all our products, I can share some specifics about lactose in our cheeses.
  By way of background, people who are sensitive to lactose can enjoy many natural or ripened cheeses.  This is because these products do not contain a measurable amount of lactose.  Natural cheeses include products like CRACKER BARREL  Natural Cheese, KRAFT  Natural Cheese (brick, slices and shreds) and KRAFT  100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.  In natural cheeses the lactose is removed with the whey during processing.  Unripened cheese such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and processed cheeses like VELVEETA  and American SINGLES  often have several grams of lactose per serving.  Cultured dairy products like yogurt with live and active cultures can help in lactose digestion.  Many people with lactose sensitivity find they can eat cultured products with few if any problems.
   One of the best sources for information on lactose is your product label.  If the ingredient statement contains milk, milk products, nonfat milk, milk solids or whey, this often means the product will contain some lactose."