From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 21:43:26 -0700

My original email said that our celiac daughter had tried GlutenEase,
which is labeled as assisting with gluten and casein digestion.  Since
she is celiac, we did not intend to use the pill to help her to digest
gluten, which she studiously avoids.  Instead we hoped that it might
enable her to eat dairy, which typically gives her migraine headaches.
She has tested as extremely allergic to casein using the IgG
allergy/food intolerance marker.  She took a pill, as directed, then
ate a small bag of M&M with peanuts.  She got the migraine headache.  I
concluded that the pill didn't appear to help her, and asked if anyone
else had used it successfully.

I received four responses today.  A couple suggested that she might be
lactose intolerant.  Two suggested that M&Ms might not be the best food
to use to test the effectiveness of the pill, as they contain chocolate
and various dyes, etc. that might also trigger migraines.  Two
suggested that a better experiment would be to have her take the pill
and then drink a glass of milk or eat cheese, or, to test the gluten
digestion capabilities of the pill, to take the pill and then eat
gluten containing crackers that don't contain any other major
allergens.   These are not possibilities for her  because she gets
excruciating headaches from eating tiny amounts of dairy so she would
not risk her health by eating a concentrated amount.  Also, since she
is celiac and reacts painfully to parts per million of gluten, she
would never knowingly eat anything that contains gluten for any reason.

We were hoping to find a supplement or other way that she could
occasionally eat foods containing a small amount of casein (such as
milk chocolate) without getting a migraine.  (She doesn't get migraines
from dark chocolate.)  The test of the GlutenEase to break down the
casein in M&Ms was a real world experiment using food she would like to
be able to enjoy.

None of those responding to my original email reported any successful
or unsuccessful experiences using this supplement.

Jackie in AZ