ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:44:16 -0600
I am sure many of you will be happy to hear that yesterday, we let Chester
out of his cage for lunch as we normally do.  Once I unlock his cage, I pull
the door open and Chester is normally hanging from the inside of the door on
the bars.  He starts trying to bite my belt, shirt, hands, and anything else
he can find as he starts climbing up the door till he gets to the top.  He
likes sitting on top of the door for awhile before walking over to the top
of the cage where his playground is.  Often, when he is sitting on the door,
he likes playing so I handle him and put my face up close to him.
Sometimes, as he did yesterday, he grabs my nose in his beak.  He normally
bites things and tests them to see if they are hard or soft.  He'll bite my
fingers harder, due to the bone he feels with his beak, than he does my
nose.  Yesterday, he grabbed my nose and squeezed a little too hard.  His
upper beak has a sharp point on the end for penetrating harder food, I
suppose, so when he clamped down, he really clamped down.  I yelled, of
course, to get him to stop, which he did, but the tip of his beak poked a
tiny whole in the side of my nose and it bled.  No fooling.  That dumb bird
drew blood.  He thought it was funny, of course, but I wasn't laughing.
Even as I write this at about 9:25 in the morning, he is out there in the
living room whistling and chattering and talking to himself.  The other
night, a week or so ago, he was still up at midnight, when Sandy got off
work, and was carrying on like it was daylight out.  We had forgotten to
turn the lights off earlier so he was still awake.  He usually quiets down
once we turn the lights out at night but parrots takes cat naps, sort of
speak, many times throughout the day.  He is starting to imitate other birds
he hears now, too.  Like robins and crows because our backdoor is often
opened out on to the deck during the later afternoon when the sun has passed
over to the front of the house as it makes its way down to the mountain tops
before dropping down behind them.  The backyard temperatures drops off a lot
and we can leave the door open to the deck and the air gets cool rapidly and
the dogs can run in and out whenever they wish.  so Chester gets to hear
everything going on in the backyard.  Chester has the bark and whining of
our smallest dog down so well, sometimes you think Chester is Skip.  Also,
Chester, from almost day one, learned how to make a sound that sounds like
someone knocking on our solid core door which is our front door.  I was
talking to Sandy as she was working the other day, heard my son knocking on
the door, or actually I thought it was my grandson wanting in, so I went and
opened the door.  No body was there.  It was Chester.  His cage is close to
the front door.  Yes, I felt like an idiot but only my two year old grandson
was here and saw me do it and he won't tell on me.

Phil.

Has He Ever Crossed Your Mind?
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com