From:
Jack Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:35:14 -0800
Hi Russ

I reinstall computers all the time and I always use the newest copy of XP I
have. As long as you have the license code on the side of the case you
should be good to go. The odd time I've had to phone Microsoft during the
activation, they just want to be sure this code is not being used on any
other computers.

Good luck
Jack Brooks

I have acquired from someone a "crashed" computer that I was able to
resurrect. The computer is running an OEM copy of XP and has the license
code sticker on it. I'd like to ensure all the previous owner's files are
unrecoverable.  If I scrub the drive, I will lose the Win XP license.  I
don't think I can install from another copy of XP because the license # is
synched to the Win XP CD and I don't have the original XP CD. As I remember
from a previous discussion with Microsoft, they just say to use the original
CD to reinstall XP. I do have other copies of XP, but I don't like to waste
the perfectly good license for this machine.
Is there any tool that will overwrite the free space on the hard drive to
make sure the old files are unrecoverable? That should keep the current OS
and applications intact.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads