From:
Lewis c Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 11:28:32 -0400
 Folks,

I have a close relative who's been pretty well house-bound and in a wheel
chair for 50 years as a result of a spinal cord injury at age 19.  Some
years ago I set her up with a computer and introduced her to e-mail and
the Internet and it's had a real impact on her life.  She became addicted
(as I knew she would) and developed an entirely new outlook on life as
the computer opened up a whole new area for her.

About a year ago, she developed pneumonia, was in the hospital for some
time, had to be fed with a stomach tube, had to breath via a tracheotomy
tube, etc.  She's now even more of an invalid and is in a nursing home
where she'll have to spend the rest of her life.  This is so sad to me as
she's been such a "fighter" for so long.  I've tried to get her
interested in getting the computer out to the nursing home to use again
(it'd made such a tremendous difference in her life earlier), but she
seems not interested.  I know that she's afraid that it'd be stolen from
her room, and that it might be awkward to use her desktop machine from a
bed or a wheelchair, but I'm trying to think of some way.....

Here're my questions:

1.   Sitting in a bed or a wheelchair the images on the desktop's monitor
would be too small for her to see/read.  She does have a TV in her room,
so is there a way that the TV screen can be used as the computer monitor?
 Some "gadget, etc." that I don't know about.

2.   It might be awkward for her to have to use a keyboard connected to
the desktop, so is there anyway to get a "wireless" keyboard and a
"wireless" mouse for her to use?

3. I'll try to get her a laptop computer to use if that'd help.

I am so disturbed that her life has, again, become so limited and I keep
thinking that there must be some way that I can, again, give her
something to do that will give her life some purpose.

Many, many thanks,

Lewis Emerson

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>