From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:41:00 -0500
Loy, there are two satellite options for relatively high-speed internet
available to rural dwellers if they are willing to pay the high price.

I had Direcway, which has changed its name to Hughes something or other.  It
costs about $99/month for about 18 months (this info is not current) until
the hardware and installation is paid for.  Then it drops about $30/month.
Direcway has had many customer complaints, but it always worked well for me.

The other is Wildblue, which might be available from your R.E.C. if you have
one, but is also available directly.  You pay for the hardware and
installation (probably about $500) then it is $50/month for 500
kilobits/second up to $80/month for 1500 megabits/second.  Wildblue has been
out for about a year.

Both use a dish about the size of a DirecTV or DISH antenna, but it is
two-way, with the upload 256 kilobits/second.  Neither provider is suitable
for online gaming because of the signal latency to the satellite.  Both are
subject to blackouts caused by heavy weather, but this has rarely been a
problem.  Getting out on a cold morning and brushing snow or melting ice is
more of an issue! :(   Both providers have a fair access policy which makes
it difficult to share large volumes of files - such as music and videos -
with others.  These are not the answer for music sharing on a massive scale.

I got Direcway from my R.E.C. for about two years.  Then they switched over
to Wildblue (I got free hardware and installation on the switch) and have
the $80/month contract.  My connection is about one-eighth as fast as my
friend in the city with Cox cable (who pays half what I pay).

I really enjoy having the high-speed connection, and I can afford it, so it
is worth the price to me.

Dean Kukral

www.direcway.com
www.wildblue.com