Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 11:43:14 -0400
On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:30:25 -0400, Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> The other trouble with using the immune system as a guideline is that
> you can really only have feedback on items that cause acute reactions.

I go the other way, in that I've tried to find foods to which the immune
system and modern science have no objection. Something like an elimination
diet.

> Suppose, for example, that fifty years of eating white flour is going to
> give me a disease.  Yet daily meals with hot dinner rolls have no
> discernible effect on me.  As I sit pondering my meal with the hot
> rolls, I might decide that they are tasty and filling, they don't cause
> me any distress, and so therefore they are OK to eat.  Fifty years later
> when my immune system finally caves and I see the effects of disease, I
> will not be able to connect those two events.

The neat trick used by the wheat-pushers is the opiate effect. We aren't
aware of it, and those who might notice might not be able to describe that
we act stunned, and will be ignored if they do try.

> It seems a lot of people here *do* have very acute reactions to various
> foods.  But I'm inclined to think this is more of a food allergy in the
> individual than it is a species-wide evolved rejection of that food,
> since these reactions are the exception, not the norm (even among this
> list, let alone among the general population).  So one person's
> "instinct" is going to tell him something completely different from
> another person's instinct.  That's fine, but if the "record of millions
> of years" varies that much from one individual to another, it's pretty
> hard to make generalized decisions from it.

If we consider that negative results are meaningful, then it is possible
to make generalized decisions. For instance raw unpolluted meat eaten in
the evening while mentally/emotionally serene on an empty stomach with
enough of the right kind of raw fat and nothing else while the body is not
"detoxing" shows no immune system reaction that I'm aware of.
I don't know if the phase of the moon has any effect. ;)

William