Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:44:11 -0500
I am now aware of at least five people including myself who have reported
improvement in night vision or nearsightedness or both since going on a
Paleo diet (little or no grains, dairy or legumes). Not all Paleo dieters
report these improvements. Those with nearsightedness tend to report more
improvement, but I know at least one person who is not nearsighted and still
experienced vision improvements--especially with night vision. I used to
think that any reversal of myopia or night vision loss was impossible, but I
now see that it is possible.

Cordain et al found that chronically high blood sugar is a factor
contributing to nearsightedness by causing excessive growth in the vitreal
chamber growth. Perhaps the Paleo vision improvement occurs in part because
of a reduction in blood sugar spikes that reduces insulin level spikes,
which then somehow reverses some of the vitreal chamber growth. How this
reversal would occur I don't know.

An eye doctor told a relative of mine who experienced amazing vision
improvement with the Paleo diet that diabetics have been known to experience
vision improvement when they get their blood sugar under control, and this
site--http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/diabetic-retinopathy-news.htm
--reports the following: "People with diabetes sometimes experience vision
loss when uncontrolled blood sugar damages blood vessels in the area of the
retina, leading to swelling and thickening of the macula where finely
detailed focusing occurs (macular edema)." Perhaps improving blood sugar
control reverses some of this thickening of the macula. Injecting a drug
into the eyes also reverses some of this thickening, but I'd rather get my
blood sugar under control. :-)

Nutrients and antioxidants have also been reported to improve vision or slow
eye degeneration. The improved nutrition and antioxidant levels of the Paleo
diet and the improved absorption of nutrients that result from it could
result in vision improvements.