From:
Sisyphus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 05:09:38 -0500
Hey Mike --

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...  You might ask your doctor
about the possibility of a Candida diagnosis (overgrowth of the yeast
Candida Albicans in your system).  The reason I mention it is because
Candida sufferers talk about something called "die-off" when the diet
begins working and killing Candida.  When dying, it gives off gases and
alcohols which makes the symptoms feel even worse - often accompanied by
skin rashes, thrush, and fatigue - and that is a sign that the diet is
*working*.  The favorite food of Candida is sugar, which of course is found
in all carbs, especially simple (starchy) ones, and fruits.  Therefore the
typical Candida Diet is like a very strict version of Paleo with no fruit
and only low-GI vegetables.  (See my earlier post under "Fibromyalgia").

I have a suspicion I "accidentally" killed off a bunch of Candida when I
went hardcore low-carb (went down to 2% carb cals for a couple weeks) - and
I've talked to a few other people who have a similar suspicion - but in
order to "finish the job" it is necessary to take antifungals for a couple
weeks, go through the die-off, then begin taking probiotics to replace the
good bacteria in your gut.   Raw garlic, black walnut, oil of oregano and
pau d'arco root are commonly recommended as natural antifungals, but there
are many others.  You can even find Candida treatments at your local health
store which are basically a combination of all these things.

Your doctor might think this is all bunk, because many of them don't
believe this condition exists.  But if you google for phrases like "candida
diet" you will find that there are a LOT of people in the same
situation.  (Be skeptical of sales pitches however - you will see a lot of
those.)  Taking natural antifungals for a couple weeks isn't going to hurt
you, and probiotics are good for you, so you might wanna give it a shot.

- S.

GettingPrimitive.com - A Natural Inquiry
..... Health, Diet, Society and Survival
........ for the Humans of Poison Planet
........ http://www.gettingprimitive.com