C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joy Welan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:22:25 -0500
Actually, the law that is relevant to the problems you are observing
is the Fair Housing Act.  This was just part of my reading for class
today, so I can shed a little more dry legal knowledge on the issue.
Here's the actual language of the law... It's long, and I'm excerpting
a lot, but I really recommend reading the whole thing if you're
interested.  It's 42 United States Code, section 3604 (f).

Discrimination includes--

(A) a refusal to permit, at the expense of the handicapped person,
reasonable modifications of existing premises occupied or to be
occupied by such person if such modifications may be necessary to
afford such person full enjoyment of the premises except that, in the
case of a rental, the landlord may where it is reasonable to do so
condition permission for a modification on the renter agreeing to
restore the interior of the premises to the condition that existed
before the modification, reasonable wear and tear excepted.

(B) a refusal to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies,
practices, or services, when such accommodations may be necessary to
afford such person equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling; or

(C) in connection with the design and construction of covered
multifamily dwellings for first occupancy after the date that is 30
months after September 13, 1988, a failure to design and construct
those dwellings in such a manner that--

(i) the public use and common use portions of such dwellings are
readily accessible to and usable by handicapped persons;

(ii) all the doors designed to allow passage into and within all
premises within such dwellings are sufficiently wide to allow passage
by handicapped persons in wheelchairs; and

(iii) all premises within such dwellings contain the following
features of adaptive design:

(I) an accessible route into and through the dwelling;
(II) light switches, electrical outlets, thermostats, and other
environmental controls in accessible locations;
(III) reinforcements in bathroom walls to allow later installation of
grab bars; and
(IV) usable kitchens and bathrooms such that an individual in a
wheelchair can maneuver about the space.

(7) As used in this subsection, the term "covered multifamily dwellings" means--
(A) buildings consisting of 4 or more units if such buildings have one
or more elevators; and
(B) ground floor units in other buildings consisting of 4 or more units.

I believe that the inaccessible things you've observed either aren't
covered by the law, or would be considered beyond reasonable
accomodation.  I'd be happy to go into more detail, but I'm even
boring myself, so I'll stop.

~Joy~